QOD: ~ Demetri Martin
Today’s Theme: TU Much. The first word of each theme answer begins with the letters TU. I’ll start with the unifier:
52-Down. Words of reproach, and a hint to how the four longest puzzle answers are formed = ET TU. Words of reproach, because Et Tu, were supposedly the last words said by Julius Caesar to his good friend, Brute. And the TU because each theme clue began with these letters.
17. Quarry for Henry VIII’s cat? = TUDOR MOUSE. The common phrase is Dormouse. Henry VIII was from the house of Tudor.
26. Dutch exporter’s forte? = TULIP SERVICE. The common phrase is Lip Service.
44. New Orleans campus sign during spring break? = TULANE CLOSED. The common phrase is Lane Closed.
60. Garb for a private pupil? = TUTEE SHIRT. The common phrase is Tee Shirt.
1. It can keep a watch on you = STRAP. I immediately knew the watch here referred to a time piece and not Big Brother.
6. Phi follower? = BETA. As in Phi Beta Kappa.
10. Took the bus = RODE.
14. French fry? = SAUTÉ. Oh, great clue!
15. Transportation option = RAIL.
16. Carafe kin = EWER.
19. Word in a boast = VENI. As in the Latin phrase, Veni, Vidi, Vici.
20. King of fiction = STEPHEN. As in Stephen King.
21. Martin Luther, to Pope Leo X = HERETIC.
23. European wine region = ASTI.
25. Bouquet = AROMA. Another good clue.
32. The Olympic Australis and others = OPALS.
33. Slippery = EELY.
34. Pop-ups, often = ADS.
37. Hollywood VIP = IDOL. I initially tried Star.
38. “The Prince of Tides” co-star = NOLTE. This movie also starred Barbara Streisand.
40. Bend at a barre = PLIÉ. A ballet movement.
41. LAPD section? = LOS. As in the Los Angeles Police Department.
42. Pay stub abbr. = FICA. As in the Federal Insurance Contributions Act.
43. Origami staple = CRANE.
47. Way up = STAIR.
50. Desperate = DIRE.
51. Horns in = MEDDLES.
54. Puts in a lower position = DEMOTES.
59. Melville’s “grand, ungodly, god-like man” = AHAB. A reference to Moby Dick.
62. Two after do = RE MI. Not keen on this clue. I think it refers to the musical scale. Do re mi fa sol la ti do.
63. Go like mad = TEAR.
64. Pitched perfectly = ON KEY.
65. It’s pitched = TENT. I loved this clue!
66. Strong arms = UZIs.
67. Racket = NOISE.
1. Former fleet = SSTs. As in the Super Sonic Transports.
2. Tense = TAUT.
3. Boorish = RUDE.
4. Sitting on = ATOP.
5. Noncommittal response = PERHAPS.
6. “The Tenant of Wildfell Hall” author Anne = BRONTË.
7. Seine flower = EAU. Oh, the substance in the river.
8. Addams family nickname = TISH. The mother in the Addams family was MORTICIA, but she went by Tish.
9. Toward shelter = ALEE.
10. Put on a pedestal = REVERE.
11. Have an outstanding loan from = OWE TO.
12. Durable fabric = DENIM.
13. Evergreen shrub = ERICA. No idea.
18. Muddle = MESS.
22. Risqué = RACY.
24. Swift’s birthplace = IRELAND. I was not aware that Jonathan Swift was Irish.
26. Drudgery = TOIL.
27. Prom night style = UPDO.
28. Myanmar neighbor = LAOS.
29. Bugged? = ILL. Great clue!
30. Spot checker? = VET. Another cute clue, assuming you have a dog named Spot.
31. ___-de-France = ILE.
34. Melodramatic moan = ALAS. Oh, woe is me!
35. Wine partner = DINE. As in being wined and dined.
36. Word with poppy or top = SEED. Top seed?
38. Zilch = NIL.
39. Andean tuber = OCA. A word I see only in the crosswords.
40. Arnie or Tiger, e.g. = PRO. Both Arnie Palmer and Tiger Wood are Pro golfers.
42. Roll up = FURL. Unfurl is far more common.
43. South Carolina university = CLEMSON.
44. Gossip morsel = TIDBIT. I misread this as gospel morsel.
45. Down sources = EIDERS. Feathers.
46. First Nations tribe = CREE.
47. Sting = SMART. Ouch!
48. Chuckle relative = TE-HEE.
49. Not worth _____ = A DAMN. I initially tried Not Worth a Dime.
53. “The Highway to India” canal = SUEZ. I crossed the Suez canal.
55. “That’s terrible!” = OH NO!
56. ____ torch = TIKI.
57. Cockney toast starter = ‘ERES. Because the cockney accent loses it’s Hs.
58. Ocular nuisance = STYE.
61. Clavell’s “___ Pan” = TAI. I have this novel, but have never read it.